Since 1968, Midwest Asphalt has served as an experienced commercial, municipal and residential paving company for the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and surrounding suburbs. We have a reputation of longevity, both with our end-user customers and through our subcontractor relationships. As a result, Midwest Asphalt has become a proven industry leader in the Twin Cities metro area. Our commitment to excellence is evident through the comprehensive services we offer as described on our website at midwestasphalt.net.
The Controller, as key component of the financial team, provides leadership and coordination for all of the Company’s financial planning, cash flow, and budget management functions as well as external and internal reporting. The role requires solid accounting skills, attention to detail, ability to meet commitments and leadership abilities. The Controller directs, captures, records and reports the financial activities of the Company personally and through subordinates and ensures Company accounting procedures, reporting and disclosures conform to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), preferably with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). The position is based in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
• Lead and manage all areas of accounting operations, including monthly/quarterly/annual close processes, monthly management reports, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, payroll, fixed assets, contracts, job cost and profitability analysis, financial planning and analysis, and financial risk management.
• Ensure financial statements are accurate and reporting is timely; providing management and business leaders with the best information possible to grow the business.
• Prepare project cost and profitability analysis and reporting to management and operations with accuracy and timeliness.
• Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of accounting systems, processes and data.
• Work with CEO and CFO to drive financial business plan for the Company, develop effective and timely operating reports and metrics.
• Develop, recruit, hire and retain accounting team over time. Establish and implement short and long-range accounting group goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures. Demonstrate good communication and management of performance.
• Ensure compliance with all contractual requirements.
• Manage short-term and long-term cash forecasts.
• Coordinate corporate tax return preparation (tax preparation is completed by 3rd party).
• Recommend and implement process improvements.
• Coordinate and analyze corporate purchasing to control expenses and maintain best possible vendor payable terms. • All other duties as assigned.
• Construction industry experience required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required, Master’s degree preferred.
• Certified Public Accountant strongly preferred, can be inactive.
• Knowledge of and experience with information technology systems and management of information technology functions.
• 10+ years of general accounting experience.
• Minimum of five years accounting supervisory experience.
• Experience dealing with parent company reporting requirements.
• Strong team player and work ethic. • Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Capable of building and maintaining financial forecasting models.
• Exceptional problem solving skills, analyzing data and establishing facts to draw valid conclusions.
We offer highly competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and 401k benefits. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check and drug screen. No relocation assistance is available for this position.
Contact: Ronald Schiferl, CFO